Sunday, November 1, 2009

Navarathri




Navarathri...

It's my favourite time of the year.My excitement for this time of the year has not gone down even a little since my childhood days. It was my grandma who used to keep lots of dolls and parks and decorate almost every inch of the house. 9 days were not enough for me to admire its beauty :)

My grandma used to dress me up in different dresses and I would be excited to invite people in my new costume every day. I remember dressing up in a south indian traditional saree, goddes Andal,krishna, gujarati style saree, half saree and many more that i don't remember..

Golu was never celebrated in my dad's family and we never had dolls or decorations in our house..but soon , I wanted this tradition in my house also and my parents happily agreed to it. We did buy lots of dolls and soon started inviting family and friends for vethala paaku. This time of the year is considered to be very auspicious too.

Being in sunnyvale I was just wondering if I would be able to get any dolls, but to my surprise there were so many dolls that we cannnot see in India itself. My husband was kind enough to shell out few extra bucks to buy me dolls which are pretty expensive here.

It's the first time that I have started this tradtion in my house and I loved every minute of these 10 days. I decorated as much I can, though not in very grand way ..a simple start :)))

Invited all my friends and family for dinner...got lots of gifts to give away along with vethala paaku and I also got to visit my friends golu too. Golu also gave way to renew our friendship with some of our old friends with whom we had lost touch

I had a lovely time and now eagerly waiting for the next year with great plans in my mind.

Happy Navarathri !!!
Posted by Picasa